Thursday, January 27, 2011

Climbing Machu Picchu- And the Guttural Scream

     You know how they say hindsight is 20/20? Well, as time passes since the high up Machu Picchu, I actually feel like I'm forgetting more and more of the wonderful things that happened along that journey, so I felt I better write this sooner rather than later.
    I would say the hike itself was more the journey, more the experience, than actually walking the ruins at Machu Picchu. Don't get me wrong, they are incredible and breath-taking, but after four days hiking in the heat and rain of the Peruvian forest with 16 former strangers from every different age group and ethnicity, the journey was making it there, not the abrupt change from explorer to tourist you make upon entering the ruins. 
     The members that made up our trekking group deemed "The Vor Trekkers" meaning for-trekkers or explorers, couldn't have been more diverse. We had a good mix of ages from 18- 60 with people from Australia, England, Mexico, Holland, and the United States. There was a chemist,  a Cadbury candy brand marketer, two 60 year old former plane jumping instructors, three 18 year old Australians who somehow managed to finish while smoking a half a pack of cigarettes every day, a mother-son team, and two American actresses to round out quite an interesting group. Thanks to the hearty three group meals a day, we got a chance to actually sit down and pick the brains of these demi-explorers from other countries. 
   Along the hike, which consisted of three 10 day hikes, and a final 2 hour descent into the ruins, our tour guide David would stop and give us history lessons on the Incan culture, and the cultures that now inhabit the area. He was also very knowledgeable about the the indigenous plant life and herb culture. He tried to force the younger hikers to eat pieces from a plant that he later told us was to encourage abstinence in the youth, they spit it out in record speed. 
     Now, I thought I was in pretty good shape before going on this hike, but let me tell you, it doesn't matter how in shape you think you are, after hiking uphill for 3 hours, you are going to be hurting. This is where the guttural scream came in. It was day 2 and we were hiking over a pass deemed "Dead Woman's Curve." At first I was very confused about why it was aimed at the woman and not the usual Dead Man's Curve, but later realized that was because from a side view the mountain looks like it has breasts....so. Anyway, this was definitely the hardest part of the hike for everyone, but I got some surge of energy half way through(maybe it was the coca-leaves, maybe it was the altitude making me go crazy) but I was basically screaming to myself as I ascended, very upset when the Australian candy man passed me (only because of the aid of Queen blasting on his head phones, I regret not bringing an ipod, but I thought who brings an ipod to Machu Picchu?... Winners do, that's who.) Anyway, Spencer and I did very well considering, both finishing in the top 5. (p.s. It was definitely not a race, but more of a personal achievement meter:)
      Each night, we would stop and camp along the way. Our second night we had the pleasure of staying at a sight next to some ruins that the locals had turned into a very serious soccer pitch. It was amazing to see the new generations taking what was left and re-appropriating it into something useful. 
    The third day was quite rainy, which was a great experience as well, because A) I learned that the ponchos we bought, had actually zero intention of being water-proof, but still felt like passing themselves off like genuine ponchos, and B) I love the rain, and experiencing rain in the RAIN-FOREST is pretty incredible. 
   Now, we had heard a rumor that we should get ready to "dance and drink" on night three. Which completely sounded insane, because there was no alcohol, and definitely no electricity to play music this entire time, but low and behold, as we descended on the third camp sight, we came upon this oasis of a disco tech in the middle of the forest. Somehow, they had set up this wild place with alcohol, music, and SHOWERS! (that we coolly ignored:) It was pretty crazy, but let me tell you, at 10,000 ft. you only need one glass of wine. 
    The next morning, we were awaken at 3 am to begin our final descent to Machu Picchu. We were all in a hurry for no particular reason I think other than to bring the entire four days into their fruitful fruition. And then we arrived, and let me tell you, it's amazing. It really is, and having the history of the place tucked away in your recent short-term memory files made the whole experience that much more rewarding. After the short group tour, I opted for some quiet meditation time in one of the many tucked away corners. Our guide had told us that the reason we were all on this trip was because a piece of our souls had been here before. Now, It's hard to judge the validity of that statement, but I will say, that sitting alone with Machu Picchu, watching the mist roll over the mountains, the rain fall from the clouds, and hearing the river roaring below, I think it would hard for anyone not to have a pretty spectacular spiritual moment, all you really have to do is show up. And I'm glad, monumentally glad, that I did. 
Sincerely,
Nora

8 comments:

  1. wow, that's amazing! it really is breathtaking, even from the pictures

    ReplyDelete
  2. Incredible! I'm so glad to have found your blog. What an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool blog! I love to see ladies going on an adventure like this (I'm jealous!). Hope you guys are having a blast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I somehow came across this via twitter. Great use of social media. I love travel journaling. My boyfriend's uncle is always encouraging us to document our travels. Even with so many gadgets..iphone/ipad/etc I never find the time... or possibly have the patience to type them out! Kudos to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. holy mackeril, what an accomplishment. i can only hope that i get the change to do this one day--and reawaken that part of my soul that's been there before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks beautiful. Glad you both had a great time and thank you for sharing your experience with us.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really nice! next you can try Brazil :-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete