Tuesday, January 4, 2011

BA- breakdown

Okay so I am way behind on the posts from Buenos Aires and really want to write about Cuzco, therefore I am just going to give an overview of the things that are really important to know about BA.....

When you first come into BA, Argentina you must pay  $140 US for a 10 year visa. It has something to with visas in the US for Argentinians, but you only have to pay it the one time until the 10 years expires. US citizens pay the most then its the Canada followed by Australia. If you're form Ireland or Japan, you are fine!

The local drink is Fernet and Coca. Fernet is a dark liquor that has a very distinctive taste, and coca is just short for coca cola. If you are going to visit another country, you might as well enjoy all aspects of it including choice beverages. Everyone has a Mai Tai when they visit Hawaii... you should have a fernet and coca. You might hate it though because its pretty strong and a little bitter, but the coca cola offsets it. I love it, personally.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fernet

Also the language here is a little bit different, so when you say goodbye its "Ciao" not "adios." There are a few different things but I've been in Peru now for a few days and the language is a bit different here too from say Spanish in Costa Rica.  Pura Vida!

St. Elmo was by far my favorite part of the city.  I have a thing for black and white parquet floors and staircases that seem to go forever.  There is some great vintage shopping and some wonderful coffee shops, although service can be a little slow compared to what we are used to in the US. But if your reason for coming to argentina is to go out all night stay close to Palermo.

I love Buenos Aires and definitely plan on coming back( since I have a 10 year visa now).  Each district has its own feeling and make it a priority to check them all out. Don't be scared to walk off the normal tourist path,  just make sure you always pay attention and keep you're items close. I lost some pesos on New years.... still can't find them... Although that might be my fault.

XOXO-
Spencer

6 comments:

  1. Hey Spencer! Im from BS AS, Argentina, and yes, everything you said it's true; our 'goodbye' is 'chau' not 'ciao', though.

    Oh, if i only knew about you being here... i would have given u a tour around the city, too bad.

    Hope you had a great time around here, if you happen to come back someday, let me know :)

    Cam. -GreekFan-
    (twitter: @camai_)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Spencer and Nora! Im from Argentina, and I just wanted to say that I'm really glad that you enjoyed your visit :D
    I hope that you come back someday, I'd love to meet you!
    Also, the place you are refering to is San Telmo, not St. Elmo, but is fine xD

    Please keep us posted!
    Carolina
    Twitter:/speeaknow

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Spencer,
    I´m from Brazil and i would like to know if you are going to visit Rio too? Or any other city from Brazil??
    I read in your twitter!
    I luv Greek and I would be very glad if I met you anywhere!
    Sorry for the bad english
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. so you pay for a 10 year visa even if you're just visiting for a couple weeks? why is that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Spencer! I'm from Buenos Aires too, and I'm glad you left with a good impression. San Telmo is a beautiful neighbourhood (or barrio :D) but you should have visited Palermo during daytime (it's the best place for shopping and has the cutest cafés). Also, I live in Belgrano and it's awesome.
    You're welcome to come back anytime, seen as I'm not the only argentinian who offered to guide you (ha).
    I love you and Nora on Greek, so thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brittany: Without the visa, you cant get in the country if you're a yank. Its symbolic because the US have this really strict visa system. SO you pay, then you can come whenever you want without paying for 10 years. Woo-hoo!

    Glad you liked fernet and that you guys enjoyed an argie-french asado.

    Also, if you're planning on coming back eventually, you should check out this site:

    http://www.alquilanewyork.com/

    We have apartments in NY, Miami, Madrid, Paris, and, of course, Buenos Aires.

    Enjoy!
    Aggie

    ReplyDelete